A Story in Dialogue
With two characters, tell a story using only lines of dialogue. No tags, no description – only words that go between the quotes.
Dialogue is a key tool to reveal character, plot, setting (time and place), tension, conflict – all the elements that help to elevate your story from the pages. The world you create becomes rounder with dialogue that serves more than just two characters talking to each other.
In this exercise, bring dialogue to life by giving characters their own differentiating and natural speaking patterns, idiosyncrasies, or colloquialisms. Express mood and reactions through word choice. Be succinct, let the dialogue reveal the story. Cut down on words or empty phrases that don’t carry their weight or contribute enough. Practice emphatic dialogue without depending upon the exclamation point to carry shock or surprise.
- Avoid reader feeder: don’t have one character iterate information to the other for the sake of the reader. “You know how we just came from our super boring fifth period history of Europe class?” “Oh, the class where our teacher uses paperclips like army knives?” That’s reader feeder. Both characters already know this information and have no need to repeat it to each other.
- Use character names infrequently: Think about how often you actually use the name of the person you’re addressing.
- Consider the relationship of the two characters: this will impact the way they speak to each other, formally or informally, or even how in tune one character might be with each other’s thoughts, emotions, or history.
Be sure to tag “ksw exercise” in your responses!
- maxithebard reblogged this from fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment
- askpinocchwick likes this
- retrorekki reblogged this from fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment
- tieran1x1 likes this
- glee1x1 reblogged this from annehathaway1x1
- farrell1x1 likes this
- annasophiarobb1x1 reblogged this from annehathaway1x1
- kibbles-n-bits--1x1 likes this
- annehathaway1x1 reblogged this from keyboardsmashwriters
- bentobunnii likes this
- professorhobo likes this
- donovvitz likes this
- koalaura likes this
- notalexa likes this
- megustaloki likes this
- johnssociopathicboyfriend likes this
- hyperactiveartnerd reblogged this from snailsleuth
- torinite likes this
- chamomilemint reblogged this from thedrunkenalchemist
- chamomilemint likes this
- kanamizaki likes this
- thatdream-idreamed likes this
- ask-vesta-o-lantern likes this
- obsessivelycritical likes this
- you-have-startled-the-witch likes this
- creepyro likes this
- gairid likes this
- that1nkyone likes this
- catnibal-lecter reblogged this from mikimikikun
- catnibal-lecter likes this
- mikimikikun reblogged this from twerk-it-ralph
- mikimikikun likes this
- rook-on likes this
- explicit-punography likes this
- themself likes this
- 8lasian reblogged this from ghettoblasted
- crownofvines likes this
- obsidianchameleon reblogged this from mishacakes
- obsidianchameleon likes this
- petziez reblogged this from mishacakes
- sickbeatsuki reblogged this from mishacakes
- mishacakes reblogged this from ghettoblasted
- twerk-it-ralph reblogged this from ghettoblasted
- thisguywasthatguy likes this
- twerk-it-ralph likes this
- ghettoblasted reblogged this from vahlre
- ghettoblasted likes this
- vahlre reblogged this from keyboardsmashwriters
- riseoftherenegades likes this